Master Acquisition Entrepreneurship
Become a business owner or grow through acquisition using the method most savvy entrepreneurs used to build business empires with less stress & less risk than taking the traditional start-up route!
Get an extra 15 hours of practical insight AND save $500 if you enroll today!
The Fast Track to Ownership:
You have always imagined owning your own business. Maybe you’ve tried the start-up approach – with or without luck. Maybe you’ve never figured out how to do the start-up route because you “don’t have a new idea”.
The Buy Then Build model will teach you how to approach ownership in the smartest possible way – using the same strategy that I’ve used to acquire 7 businesses and generate 100x as much income in the exact same amount of time it took my first startup to start, grow, then die.
THIS MASTERCLASS IS FOR:
Your First Venture
So you want to own your first business. You’ve been bitten by the business bug, and now it’s time to learn, and fast! If you want to build the entire business infrastructure from scratch, then close this tab right now, and go ahead and start pulling out your fingernails. Or better, acquire a business with all the infrastructure already rocking, and begin by doing the fun stuff – scaling up a business that you know actually works, from 6 figures to 7 figures, and beyond.
You’ve already built a business or two (or ten). Maybe they succeeded, or maybe some failed. You know how most of it works, and you want to make sure you maximize your impact with your next project. I’m here to show you how you can take your resources and skillsets and, instead of linearly grinding out growth, generate 10x, exponential growth. The best part? It’s a formula that you can use again and again, stopping the growth.
Business Moguls/ Empires
You’re influential. You have a portfolio of investments and businesses. Your dinner reservation next Tuesday is with your state senator, and after that you’ll throw bags of money out your window as you drive down the street in your hot red lamborghini (ok ok, maybe not that last part – but a guy can dream, right?)
I will show you how you can acquire entire channels of distribution, expand into complimentary product lines, and absorb entire databases of customers, so these rising tides lift all your boats – or in this case, yachts 🙂
Here's the comprehensive Masterclass
that will teach you how to buy a business!
In this module, you will learn the foundations of acquisition entreprenuership (AE) as a strategy.
- AE Framework from an Entrepreneur Perspective
- The Two Different Journeys for an Entrepreneur
- Guest Speaker: The Power of Trying Crazy Things to Fix Perfect Problems with Jim McKelvey
- Bonus Content: The 5 Myths of Entrepreneurship
- Benefits of AE as an Entrepreneur
- Guest Speaker: The Story of a Textbook Acquisition Entrepreneur, Dan Peskorse
- AE Framework from an Investor Perspective
- Gazelles vs. Venture Capital
- Bonus Content: Alternative Retirement Strategies
- Return on Investment
- Upside Potential
- Margin of Safety
- Supplemental Reading: Upside Potential Walk Through
- Accelerated Route to Value Creation
- Skill Builder: Return on Investment
- Bonus Lecture: The 4 Pathways of Entrepreneurship Through Acquisition
- Knowledge Check
In this module, you’ll take the most important primary step filled with self-reflection that most buyers don’t take – determining who you are as a buyer.
- The Most Important Thing
- Personal Impact
- Bonus Content: Will you actually buy? The secret sauce to execution
- Skill Builder: Understanding Growth Mindset
- Bonus Content: Leveraging Career Capital
- Skill Builder: The Power of Your Story
- Supplemental Reading: PERMA Model
- Expert Interview: What Makes a Successful Acquisition Entreprenuer, Dr. David Weller
- Skill Builder: Personal Strengths and Weaknesses
- Bonus Content: Determining Your Search Strategy
- Supplemental Reading: Level of Individual Involvement
- Skill Builder: Determining the most appropriate level of involvement
- Skill Builder: Entrepreneurial Self-Assessment Survey
- Skill Builder: Personal Goals
- Skill Builder: Three A’s
- Bonus Content: Glimpse Into the Acquisition Lab – The Good, Bad, and Ugly of Buying a Business
- Profiling Your Business: Eternally Profitable, Turnaround, Platform, & High Growth
- Skill Practice: Identifying Opportunity Profiles
- Resource: AE Matrix Reference Guide
- Bonus Content: The Biggest Mistake I Made While Acquiring $16.5mm in revenue
- Defining the Size of Your Business
- Bonus Content: How Post-Close Liquidity Determines How Much You can Afford
- Resource: What Can You Afford Calculator
- Resource: Deal Size Reference Guide
- Defining the Right Amount of Leverage
- Skill Practice: Determining Net Worth
- Defining Industry Type
- Supplemental Reading: Evaluating B2B vs. B2C/DTC
- Supplemental Reading: Industry Overviews
- Formulating Your Target Statement
- Skill Practice: Industry Reaction Worksheet
- Skill Builder: Target Statement Worksheet
In this module, you’ll learn the various approaches to use to identify deals and build a transaction team.
- Bonus Content: Glimpse into the Acquisition Lab – How to Compete as a First Time Buyer
- Get Upstream
- Broker Outreach
- Bonus Content: Two Biggest Mistakes From Worst Buyer Ever
- Supplemental Reading: Tips for Nailing Broker Outreach
- Meeting with Brokers
- Every Business is for Sale
- Supplemental Reading: Managing Emotions to Reinforce Your Brand
- Skill Practice: Understanding Seller Motivations
- Guest Speaker: Leaving the Search Fund Model and Buying on Her Own, Monica Weaver
- Banker Outreach
- Debt Vehicles
- Bonus Content: Is a personal guarantee required?
- Supplemental Reading: Financing a Deal
- Expert Interview: Undertanding SBA Financing with Stephen Speer
- Supplemental Reading: Insight into the SBA Financing Process
- Partners, CPAs, & Lawyers
- Bonus Content: The Difference Your Team Makes on Your Acquisition
- Guest Speaker: How Ryan Begelman Built and Sold a $50mm Company
- Resource: SBA Personal Financial Statement
In this module, you’ll learn the frameworks to use to evaluate a business and begin analyzing it’s performance.
- Offering Memorandums & Accounting Methods
- Skill Practice: Evaluating Accrual vs. Cash Accounting
- Balance Sheets
- Income Statements
- Cashflow Statements & Critical Factors
- Supplemental Reading: Forecasting & Stress Testing
- Asset-Based Valuation
- Cash Flow-Based Valuation
- Bonus Content: Is it a fair multiple?
- Bonus Content: Shift Your Focus
- SDE Analysis and Value vs. Asking Price
- Bonus Content: Measuring Business Earnings
- Bonus Content: Calculating Add Backs as a Broker
- Business Strategy
- Porter’s Five Forces and Lifecycle of an Industry
- Supplemental Reading: Porters Five Forces
- Bonus Content: Five Forces of Power
- Skill Practice: Applying Porter’s Five Forces
- Additional Frameworks
- Bonus Content: Evaluating the True Level of Risk of Your Acquisition
- Market Research and Market Strategy
- Knowledge Check
In this module, you’ll gain insight into the seller’s perspective and what to expect as you begin to interact with sellers.
- The Seller’s Story
- Bonus Content: The Journey of Deciding to Sell
- Meeting the Seller
- Negotiating Strategies
- Discussion Strategies
- Visit the Business
- Knowledge Check
- Stop and Review
- Expert Interview: Navigating the Legal Side of a Transaction, Joel Ankney, author of Here’s the Deal
- Letter of Intent
- Resource: Letter of Intent Sample
- Supplemental Reading: Critical First Steps after Signing LOI
- Supplemental Reading: Explanation of Related Documents
- Bonus Content: When to use an IOI (Indication of Interest)
- Deal Type & Purchase Considerations
- Bonus Content: Asset Sale vs. Stock Sale
- Bonus Content: Importance of Working Capital
- Deal Structure and Closing Date
- Bonus Content: Structuring Your First Offer
- Bonus Content: Navigating Customer Concentration
- Supplemental Reading: Key Considerations When Structuring Your Offer
- Contigencies and Agreement on Agreement
- Resource: Asset Purchase Agreement Sample
- Pre-Negotiations and Seller Response
- Bonus Content: Why Deals Fall Apart
- Managing the Acquisition Phase
In this module, you’ll learn how to manage the transacion post-LOI starting with due diligence.
- Due Diligence
- Supplemental Reading: Common Red Flags
- Supplemental Reading: Legal Due Diligence
- Supplemental Reading: Financial Due Diligence
- Guest Lecture: Financial Due Diligence, Bill Wiersema, Miller Cooper
- Optional Reading: Financial Due Diligence in Acquisitions by Bill Wiersema
- Supplemental Reading: Operational Due Diligence
- Resource: Due Diligence Checklist
- Expert Interview: Conducting Due Diligence with Elliott Holland
- Exploiting Opportunities and Closing Deals
- Knowledge Check
- Closing Expectations
- Closing Process
- First 90 Days
- Supplemental Reading: Communication Planning
- Supplemental Reading: Role of Communication in Retaining Key Talent
- Supplemental Reading: Role of Change Management in Employee Retention
- Supplemental Reading: Role of Engaging Employees in Retention
- Resource: Message Mapping
- Day 1, First 30 days
- Days 60 – 90
- Bonus Content: Hiring a Manager to Operate Your Acquisition
- Growth through Acquisition
- Bonus Lecture: Growing Your Business Through Acquisition
- Bonus Content: Learning More about Growth Through Acquisition
- Acquisition in the Entrepreneurship Economy
- Guest Speaker: Building Value in Your Business, Brian Jones
- Guest Speaker: Ensuring Transferability of Your Business, Richard Mowery
- Bonus Content: The Business Buyer Playbook
- Knowledge Check
- Cash Conversion Cycle
- Current Ratio
- Debt-to-Equity Ratio
- Growth Rate Analysis
- Profitability Analysis
- Vertical Analysis
- Horizontal Analysis
- Financial Statements
- Cash Flow
- Cash Flow Statement
- Working Capital
- SDE & Add-Backs
- EBITDA vs. Adjusted EBITDA
- Margin of Safety
- Accrual vs. Cash Accounting
- Balance Sheet
- Intellectual Property
- Owner’s Equity
- Income Statement
- Revenue or The Top-Line
- Seller Financing
- Leveraged Buy Out
- ROBS 401k Funding
- Assumption of Debt
- Indication of Interest (IOI) vs. Term Sheet vs. Letter of Intent (LOI)
- Asset Purchase Agreement (APA)
- Stock Purchase Agreement (SPA)
- Escrow Agreement
- Reps & Warranties
- Indemnification Clause
- Hold Back
- Stability Payment
- Consulting Agreements
- Forgivable Loan
- BATNA (Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement)
- Expert Interview: Acquiring Online Businesses with Shawn Hussain, eCommerce Law Group
- Bonus Content: Valuing For Investors
Guest Lectures, Expert Interviews, and Interviews with Acquisition Entrepreneurs ALLIncluded With Your Purchase!
Guest Lectures, Expert as well as Acquisition Entrepreneur Interviews are ALL Included With Your Purchase!
Here’s a few examples of who you’ll be learning from through the Masterclass:
DAVID WELLER, PHD
For over 25 years, David has worked with executives to select, develop, and retain top-tier talent with the highest potential and the lowest turnover rate. He helps build succession planning systems and conduct human capital due diligence.
Founder of eCommerce Lending & Focal Point Lending
Stephen has funded over $300mm in online business acquisition loans alone. He leads the #1 source for online business acquisition financing. With nearly 30 years of lending experience, he is an expert at navigating SBA lending.
M&A Attorney & Author
After practicing M&A law for nearly 30 years, award-winning lawyer, Joel wrote the book, Here’s the Deal: Everything You Wish a Lawyer Would tell You About Buying a Small Business to share his expertise in a rarely discussed space.
After exhausting her search through a traditional search fund, Monica successfully acquired a company as a self-funded searcher allowing her the flexibility to pursue targets that aligned to her personal interests.
CPA & Author
With nearly 40 years of experience, Bill is a well-respected thought leader and trusted advisor in this space. He partners with clients for due diligence and transaction support as well as strategy.
Serial Entrepreneur & Author
Jim is most widely known as the co-founder of Square but has founded over 7 businesses. In his book, Innovation Stack, he discusses what it takes to build a resilient, world-changing company.
Serial Acquisition Entreprenuer
After taking a unique opportunity, Charles founded Getix Health through acquisition. He then grew the business to an impressive size through 5 acquisitions with a significant exit.
President, Ecommerce Law Group
Aside from being a successful acquisition entreprenuer, Shawn specializes in assisting entrepreneurs and investor groups with buying and selling ecommerce businesses.
GET STARTED NOW!
What does this course include?
- Lifetime Access
- Almost 20 Hours of Lecture
- 31 Bonus Content Videos
- 12 Guest Speakers/Expert Interviews
- 22 Supplemental Readings
- 15 Exercises to Further Your Journey
- 8 Downloadable Resources (e.g. Calculators, Reference Guides, Templates)
- 2 Searchable Glossaries
IF YOU BUY NOW, WE'LL ALSO INCLUDE:
MORE THAN 15 ADDITIONAL HOURS OF PRACTICAL INSIGHT!
Frequently Asked Questions Course
This course includes over 70 questions and answers about all aspects of acquisition entrepreneurship especially SBA financing that have been asked by Acquisition Lab members during live sessions with lenders as well as Walker Deibel.
Expert Interview Series
This course includes 38 interviews with Acquisition Entrepreneurs discussing how they found their deals, mistakes they made, lessons learned, etc. as well as M&A Professionals sharing their insights and experiences.
NEED HELP OR HAVE QUESTIONS?
We’re happy to answer any questions
you might have and help you make
the wisest choice for you.
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTORS
Serial Entrepreneur and Author
Walker Deibel cofounded four startups, including his most recent endeavor, Acquisition Lab, and has acquired seven companies. He is the founder and Managing Partner of the holding company, Centra, as well as an advisor for online entrepreneurs. He holds an MBA from the Olin School of Business at Washington University in St. Louis where he received the Declaration of Achievement in Entrepreneurship from the Skandalaris Center of Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
Walker is a Certified M&A Advisor and former SEC licensed stock broker. Walker has also produced almost a dozen films and had premieres at some of the world’s most prestigious festivals, including Sundance, SXSW, and Toronto International Film Festival. He is the author of Buy Then Build: How Acquisition Entrepreneurs Outsmart the Startup Game, released in fall 2018 by Lioncrest Publishing.
Chelsea Wood is a strategy consultant with an emphasis on maximizing organizational success through human capital. She is also the Managing Director of Acquisition Lab and a Certified Merger and Acquisition Advisor. For over 15 years, Chelsea has partnered with leadership teams to identify and address their unique business challenges related to operational performance, strategy, business development and human capital. Her background includes training design & delivery and executive coaching. She has partnered with leadership teams as they grow through acquisition as both an external consultant as well as a member of the transaction team.
She managed new growth initiatives, including mergers, acquisitions and other strategic partnerships, for a multi-state integrated health-delivery system growing from $3B to $6B through transactions during her tenure. Chelsea has a Green Belt, Six Sigma Certification and a bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Southern Illinois University. Her master’s degree is in Industrial/Organizational Psychology from The Chicago School.